Since 1996, Trinity Rep’s Teen Ambassadors program has brought together motivated young people from communities across Rhode Island and southeast Massachusetts, united by their common interest in theater.
Teen Ambassadors meet 2-3 times a month throughout the school year, see each mainstage production free of charge, and participate in discussions and master classes with Trinity Rep staff.
Through these activities, the Ambassadors are introduced to the full range of skills, techniques, and ideas which are essential to professional theater. Interaction between students from different communities and between students and theater professionals helps them develop a richer understanding of theater arts. As “Ambassadors,” the students will leave the program with enhanced skills and serve as enthusiastic spokespeople for the performing arts in their own schools and communities.
What do Theater Ambassadors do?
- Attend rehearsals and/or performances of all Trinity Rep mainstage productions
- Attend pre-show workshops on these plays with Education staff plus actors/directors/designers. These workshops usually explore topics in acting using the themes and text of the play
- Attend monthly meetings led by Trinity Rep professionals that will shine a light on the various roles in a professional theater
- Attend performances of one another’s school plays and/or other performances available in the community
- Be an advocate for Trinity Rep in the community – promote shows in your schools, classes, YASI, etc.
- Coordinate, participate or facilitate the “Teens Talk Back” series
- Give back to the theater – volunteer usher, assist in classes, assist with Education Dept. events and office hours
Who can apply?
The Trinity Rep Theater Ambassadors is open to students in grades 10-12. There is no charge to participate, and no prior theater experience is required. However, applicants must have a strong interest in theater, and have demonstrated maturity and eagerness to learn. Regular attendance and participation are required. Students who are consistently late or absent may be dropped from the program.
What is the time commitment?
Ambassadors will meet monthly with a special guest. In addition, they will attend every Trinity Rep show and have to opportunity to observe tech rehearsals. Throughout the year there may be more opportunities to see various Brown/Trinity MFA productions. We also ask that each ambassador finds a way to give back to Trinity Rep – office hours, assist in classes, etc.
“Talking to Joe [Wilson Jr.] . . . has definitely opened my eyes to newer aspects of acting that I had not seen or heard of before. To hear such inspiring words about acting from such a fantastic actor was truly something I will never forget.” – Ambassador Chris Hartford, Seekonk, MA
“The ambassador program . . . sparked my interest in set design, something I had never considered before. I have come out of the program . . . more aware of the hard work that goes into a professional production. The program has been a vital addition to my cultural education”. –Ambassador Emily Boksenbaum, Barrington High School.
Applications through this online form. Applications are due September 22, 2017.
For all inquiries contact firstname.lastname@example.org.